Monday, August 13, 2007

Revise Project Management Guideline

Hi out there. According to my spy in the sky, there are actually some people out there who are reading my blog. Yippee!! And to top it off, some of you are repeat visitors.. The wonders never cease.

Ok, so for today's post, and for the subsequent near future I figure it would be appropriate for me to talk about my current challenge:

"Revise the internal Project Management Guideline to include portfolio and program framework, and enhance existing project guidelines; establishing specific requirements based on tier criteria; incorporating the collaborative input from representatives of the affected stakeholder management within XX, YY, ZZ, AA, and BB; and engaging in discussions towards the capability maturity framework established in the Organizational Project Management Maturity Model standard "OPM3" developed by the Project Management Institute"

How about that!

I figure that this initiative isn't going to get legs under it unless I structure and execute it as a project. Do any of my readers have comments towards how they tackled a similar objective like this one in the past? The first thought that comes to mind is communications. I need to ensure that my target audience is working with me through the critical steps in the process. Have you noticed how no matter what, communications seems to be very difficult to get right?

Note to self - Be careful when drinking from teucu container.

Back to the project... so if communications are so challenging, then I had better allocate a good chunk of my energy towards that. What then are other high priority success factors
... being organized
... being integrated with other methodologies
... demonstrating value
... gaining momentum
... staying focused
... getting direction from end users
... influencing in accordance with best practice
... being in sync with organizational values & drivers

Well that is a pretty short list but I think there are some key items mentioned. One thought that came to mind is the OPM3 guideline for initiation processes and best practice. Reviewing this may also provoke some additional insights.

Wish me luck.. Hopefully I'll post some positive results the next time you visit.

No comments: