Monday, December 26, 2005

Project Closure - what works?

Closure - In my books, probably one of the often mis-practiced components of project methodology. Funny how this is considering that "lesson's learned" can be found in the PMBOK so many times. I don't recall the statistic exactly, somewhere around 200 times. Why do we not practice closure in a timely fashion? I suspect that one reason is because people associate closure activities to signify that the project is completed, and not just that the current phase is coming to an end.

I've yet to find a closure process that keeps people interested. Perhaps something is wrong with the approach? I tend to favor the following:

  1. Evaluate what is in scope and do some preliminary analysis
  2. Develop a plan that includes tools, techniques, responsible people, and end state
  3. Communicate the plan to the responsible people to obtain their buy-in
  4. Assume responsibility for the grunt work that is not unique to any one person
  5. Review progress to completion

In most cases, this approach and a dollar will buy you a coffee. I think that the strategy goes sour somewhere around step 3. Unfortunately, this is not known until step 5, and step 4 got the go ahead because it was really just an extension of step 2. I believe it is better to do your homework ahead of engaging the team with the plan. However if this the reason why the end result is often less than satisfactory then here are some factors to consider.

  1. One could blame the methodology developed in step 2. At times I've elected to employ technological solutions to help out. Perhaps this introduces more risk towards acceptance. I've found that technology is somewhat indispensable in the case with document closure activities. One time I recall having to create a custom database application to help disseminate 50,000+ documents to their rightful home.
  2. Perhaps even earlier than step 2, to include the team in the scope evaluation process done at step 1. They may not agree with the prioritizing or level of importance. I've noticed this with closure reports. Despite having a standard report, the fact that this becomes a formal document probably gets people a bit nervous and unwilling to commit.

I could go on and on I guess. Despite my ramblings here we are again in the year end closure phase. I wonder if history will repeat itself.

No comments: